The current healthcare system and its potential enhancement heavily depends on patients becoming more collaborative with their physicians in order to improve their health outcomes and become more aware about their conditions. Patient engagement focuses on encouraging patients by combining their knowledge, skills, abilities, and willingness to learn while managing their own care with communications designed to promote positive behaviors. By increasing the knowledge and awareness of their conditions, patients will be more inclined to participate and engage in their own health, well-being, and healthcare choices, which leads to improved care, less in-person visits, and behavioral health changes.
Near-Term (12 Months)
- Effective education: The insights patients receive through educational and informational tools allow them to better understand their conditions and take better care of themselves
- Enforces personalized experience: A well designed platform that promotes communication and learning creates a more personalized and engaging patient experience through a positive feedback loop
- Improved connections: Physicians create stronger relationships with their patients and provide better quality of care as their patients engage with the medical information, communicate their ideas, and voice their concerns about their conditions and treatments
- Stirring skepticism: A poorly designed platform can decrease patient cooperation and increase patient skepticism in the healthcare system over time
- Losing grip: Physicians can also become skeptical in poorly designed patient engagement models, as they may feel they are losing the authority and value of expertise among patients and their education
- Lack of Funding and Design: Traditional health systems could be unable to set-up the logistics of this trend either due to a facility’s poor design or their lack of technological resources of funding
Long-Term (3+ Years)
- Different Definitions of Health: Patients are empowered through well-designed products that teach patients about their conditions, how best to manage them, and ultimately inspire them to combine their treatments with other wellness activities
- Considering the entire patient: Health becomes more multifaceted and digital therapeutics are able to account for more holistic pictures of health
- Communities of Care: Implementing well-designed CDMs could create a stronger foundation for communities of care where caregivers can coordinate and collaborate more effectively to help the patients with their conditions
- Overpowering doubts: Lack of trust and transparency as more data and health gets tracked leads to more people leaving the reformed healthcare system and pursuing alternative home forms of medicine
- Damaging well-being: People are not empowered or educated to make informed decisions about their health and are forced to deal with their conditions, leading to poor decisions and worse health outcomes
- Methodical and ineffective innovations: Digital therapeutics designed very procedurally without empowering patients leave the same patients to continue making poor choices in their health and wellness
Managing Chronic Conditions, Changing Behaviors Forever
Santovia is transforming patient engagement with its physician-founded health technology that focuses on innovative design, class education, shared decision-making tools, and real-time reporting. Available on all platforms to enable seamless access and experience, Santovia allows patients and their families to become well-educated about the basics of their conditions in order to dedicate the time with their physicians to collaborate with decisions, treatments, and outcomes. Health providers can create their own written or video content that they can then assign to their patients to learn more about their medical conditions in a personalized manner.
“Active patient engagement is a prerequisite for critical circumstances, especially in the case for chronic conditions, to ensure patients understand the situation, change their behavior to recover faster, and the condition is managed optimally.” ~ Fiona Calnan, Santovia CEO
Layers of Engagement and Education
Navigating Cancer is the leader in oncology patient relationship management (PRM) that drives its focus on enabling personalized care for every patient through empowerment, while allowing oncologists to provide better quality of care. To improve patient engagement, Navigating Cancer offers Navigating Care, a PRM platform that delivers multiple methods of communication designed to form a dynamic and flowing conversation between patients and physicians. Navigating Care offers a personalized companion, as well as a complimentary portal, to assist medical practices to deliver high quality information and enhance patient empowerment and engagement. Through Navigating Care, patients have access to personalized education about their diagnoses and treatment, patient and caregiver support groups, patient access to health records 24/7, and other sources that help patients become more knowledgeable and present in their medical journey.
Buying Groceries with More Choice
Engagement with the customer base is a significant rising trend that has expanded into other industries and into people’s personal lives. Grocery shopping can be revolutionized with enhanced customer engagement, as seen with Kroger’s Edge, a shelving system that uses digital displays, rather than traditional paper tags, to indicate the pricing, nutritional information, promotion, and dietary information. Edge allows shoppers not only to connect to other Kroger digital platforms, but also to integrate their smartphones to align with their grocery lists and alert them about items and other personalized information. With their collaboration with Microsoft, Kroger’s Edge digital delivery of information and education available during customers’ grocery runs ultimately provides a unique grocery shopping experience.
Fashion Advice, Cultivate Style
H&M’s partnership with messenger company Kik led to the launch of a chatbot that helps shoppers pick out the best possible outfit and enhance the customer experience through virtual engagement. Acting as a personal assistant, the chatbot assists shoppers to navigate through outfit possibilities and guide them to the online store areas that align with their interests. What makes this chatbot unique within the up-and-coming customer engagement trend is the chatbot’s capability to provide outfit inspiration through education and suggestions to cultivate the customers’ fashion taste and style. With advice and learning tools, H&M’s chatbot stimulates engagement from the customers through communication and education to broaden their style and awareness in fashion.